Vatican cannot revoke BBC star Savile’s papal honour
Rome,: The Vatican has said it cannot cancel the papal knighthood awarded to television star Jimmy Savile, who emerged as an alleged child sex predator after his death.
The Catholic Church of England said it had contacted the Holy See to ask it to posthumously revoke Savile’s, a well-known BBC children`s television host who died last year aged 84 honour in recognition of the ‘deep distress’ to the victims allegedly abused by him.
According to news.com.au, but Vatican spokesman, the Reverend Federico Lombardi, said that the names of people who receive the knighthood don`t appear in its yearbook and that the honour dies with the individual. Lombardi said Savile never would have received the honour had the truth about his behaviour been known, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India