Vatican digs in after gay marriage advances
Vatican City: The Vatican is digging in after gay marriage initiatives scored big wins this week in the US and Europe, vowing to never stop insisting that marriage can only be between a man and a woman.
In a front-page article in today`s Vatican newspaper L`Osservatore Romano, the Holy See sought to frame itself as the lone voice of courage in opposing initiatives to give same-sex couples legal recognition. In a separate Vatican Radio editorial, the Vatican spokesman asked sarcastically why gay marriage proponents don`t now push for legal recognition for polygamous couples as well.
The Vatican media blitz came after three US states approved same-sex marriage by popular vote, Spain upheld its gay marriage law and France pushed ahead with legislation that could see gay marriage legalised early next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?