Vatican digs in after gay marriage advances
Vatican City: The Vatican is digging in after gay marriage initiatives scored big wins this week in the US and Europe, vowing to never stop insisting that marriage can only be between a man and a woman.
In a front-page article in today`s Vatican newspaper L`Osservatore Romano, the Holy See sought to frame itself as the lone voice of courage in opposing initiatives to give same-sex couples legal recognition. In a separate Vatican Radio editorial, the Vatican spokesman asked sarcastically why gay marriage proponents don`t now push for legal recognition for polygamous couples as well.
The Vatican media blitz came after three US states approved same-sex marriage by popular vote, Spain upheld its gay marriage law and France pushed ahead with legislation that could see gay marriage legalised early next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins