Vatican grilled on child abuse by UN watchdog
Geneva: The Vatican was today pushed for the first time to provide answers to the UN over its commitment to stamp out child sex abuse by priests.
The landmark question-and-answer session before the UN`s child rights watchdog in Geneva came as Pope Francis said Catholics should feel "shame", in an apparent reference to the scandals that have rocked the Church.
Francis has vowed zero tolerance of abuse, setting up a special committee to investigate sex crimes, enforce prevention and care for victims.
But top officials at the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child questioned the Vatican`s resolve.
"The Holy See has not established any mechanism to investigate those accused of perpetrating sexual abuse, nor to prosecute them," charged committee member Sara Oviedo.
The Roman Catholic Church has been shaken by a decade-long cascade of scandals involving child abuse by priests and Catholic lay officials, from Ireland to the United States and Australia.
Pressed for details of the Vatican`s new committee, its UN ambassador, Monsignor Silvano Tomasi said the ground rules and membership were still being established.
Oviedo also quizzed the Vatican on specifics, demanding to know what it was doing in the case of Archbishop Jozef Wesolowski, a papal envoy from deeply Catholic Poland recalled from the Dominican Republic amid claims of abuse.
Monsignor Charles Scicluna, the Vatican`s former top prosecutor, insisted the Church understood what it had to do.
"The Holy See gets it, that certain things have to be done differently," he said. "It`s not words, it has to be commitment on the ground, on the level of the local churches," he told the panel.
But committee member Hiranthi Wijemanne said perpetrators were too often shielded by their hierarchy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Government to set up special court for all NSEL cases
- Vijay Mallya's 8 luxury cars to be auctioned for Rs 14 lakh
- Fourteen killed, over 20 wounded in suicide attack in Iraq's Kadhmiyah
- Meet 'Chaani-Sarman' from Ashutosh Gowariker's 'Mohenjo Daro'- See new poster
- Srinagar-Muzaffarbad bus service to resume tomorrow