Vatican hailed bishop who shielded paedophile priest from police
Paris: A controversy was brewing in France on Friday after publication of a letter in which a high Vatican official praised a French bishop for shielding a paedophile priest from police.
Dated September 08, 2001, the letter was posted by the progressive Catholic online daily Golias. In it, Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos "congratulates" Bishop Pierre Pican "for not having denounced a priest to the civil authorities".
At the time, Castrillon Hoyos was Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy. The commission is responsible for overseeing matters regarding priests and deacons not belonging to religious orders.
He was also a close collaborator of Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, who is today Pope Benedict XVI. Castrillon Hoyos retired in July 2009.
"You acted well," Castrillon Hoyos wrote, "and I am pleased to have a colleague in the episcopate who... preferred prison to denouncing his son and priest."
Pican ultimately was handed a suspended sentence of three months in prison for protecting the priest, Rene Bissey, from arrest. Bissey was eventually sentenced to 18 years in prison for repeatedly raping one boy and sexually assaulting 10 others.
The cardinal concluded by saying the Congregation for the Clergy would send copies of the letter to all bishop conferences of the Catholic Church, "to encourage the brothers of the episcopate in this very sensitive domain".
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi indirectly admitted the authenticity of the letter by saying in a press statement that it confirmed "how fortunate it was to have centralised under the authority of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith affairs of sexual abuse of minors committed by priests."
Special powers to deal with sex-abuse cases were conceded to this Congregation in January 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says