Vatican increases criticism of Belgian raids
Vatican city: The Vatican`s No. 2 official says raids carried out by Belgian police investigating sex abuse allegations are unprecedented even under communism.
Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, Vatican secretary of state, said Saturday that the raids were "an unheard-of and grave fact," according to the ANSA and Apcom news agencies. He lamented that officials had been held for several hours without food or drink.
He reportedly said that "there are no precedents, not even in Communist regimes."
This week, police raided the home and former office of the recently retired archbishop of Belgium. Investigators also opened the graves of two archbishops.
On Friday, a Vatican statement expressed astonishment and outrage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’