Vatican learnt of German bishop abuse in 2009: Statement
Vatican City: The Vatican on Wednesday said it
learnt in January 2009 that German-born former bishop Georg
Mueller had admitted to sexually abusing a minor in Norway 20
"The affair concerns a case of sexual abuse of a minor in
the early 1990s, which came to the attention of Church
authorities in January 2009," Vatican spokesman Federico
Lombardi said in a statement as the snowballing paedophilia
priest scandal reached Norway.
"The matter was quickly addressed and examined by the
Stockholm nunciature (apostolic embassy), on the order of the
(Vatican morals enforcer) Congregation for the Doctrine of the
Faith," he said.
"In May 2009, the bishop tendered his resignation, which
was rapidly accepted by the Holy Father, and he left the
prelature in June. He underwent a period of therapy and no
longer carries out pastoral work."
The statement added: "From a legal standpoint, the case
had dropped because the statute of limitation had expired. The
victim... has always asked to remain anonymous."
The victim, a choir boy at the time of the abuse, is now
aged around 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands