Vatican learnt of German bishop abuse in 2009: Statement
Vatican City: The Vatican on Wednesday said it
learnt in January 2009 that German-born former bishop Georg
Mueller had admitted to sexually abusing a minor in Norway 20
"The affair concerns a case of sexual abuse of a minor in
the early 1990s, which came to the attention of Church
authorities in January 2009," Vatican spokesman Federico
Lombardi said in a statement as the snowballing paedophilia
priest scandal reached Norway.
"The matter was quickly addressed and examined by the
Stockholm nunciature (apostolic embassy), on the order of the
(Vatican morals enforcer) Congregation for the Doctrine of the
Faith," he said.
"In May 2009, the bishop tendered his resignation, which
was rapidly accepted by the Holy Father, and he left the
prelature in June. He underwent a period of therapy and no
longer carries out pastoral work."
The statement added: "From a legal standpoint, the case
had dropped because the statute of limitation had expired. The
victim... has always asked to remain anonymous."
The victim, a choir boy at the time of the abuse, is now
aged around 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Posting babies' photos on Facebook put moms at depression risk
- Donald Trump is a joke for America: Chloe Grace Moretz
- Charleston church shooting case: US seeks death penalty for shooter Dylann Roof
- Irregularities in petition to oust Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro
- Alcohol kills an Indian every 96 minutes