Vatican pledges to submit UN report, 14 yrs late
Geneva: The Holy See`s UN envoy in Geneva
says the Vatican will submit a long-overdue report on its
treatment of children to the global body this fall.
Silvano Tomasi says the report originally due in 1997
will be presented to the UN Committee on the Rights of the
Child in September or October.
Tomasi said last year that the report`s release was
imminent, but he told reporters Monday that "imminent in the
tradition of the Church, it`s a very long time."
Human rights groups have urged the Vatican to explain
in the report its role in the cover-up of child abuse
committed by Catholic clergy.
Tomasi told reporters he welcomed Ireland`s recent
decision to investigate allegations of child abuse at
Catholic-run institutions in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH