Vatican pre-conclave participants sworn to silence
Vatican City: Cardinals and translators taking part in meetings in Rome ahead of a conclave to elect Pope Benedict`s successor have been sworn to silence, the Vatican said.
"You won`t get any comment from me," Cardinal Severino Poletto, emeritus archbishop of Turin, told journalists at the end of the third pre-conclave meeting.
"My conscience requires this. I appreciate you need to do your job, but so do I."
The election of a pope is conducted in conditions of secrecy unique in the modern world and the threat of excommunication hangs over anyone tempted to break this silence.
No date has yet been set, but in the clearest sign so far that a papal election is nearing, the Vatican Tuesday announced the closure of the Sistine Chapel - the conclave venue - until further notice.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said work to get the chapel ready for the conclave would mainly consist in raising the floor to enable enough tables for the 115 cardinal electors to fit inside.
Two stoves need to be fitted and attached to the Sistine Chapel`s chimney, one to burn used ballots and the other to send up the smoke that signals whether a new pontiff has been elected, he said.
"The smoke makes the outcome of the vote visible to the world," Lombardi said.
During the conclave, cardinals aged under 80 take part in secret votes held four times daily inside the Sistine Chapel.
The cardinals must reside within the Vatican and are not permitted any contact with the outside world.
When a candidate obtains two-thirds of the cardinal electors` votes, the smoke from the Sistine chapel`s chimney turns from black to white to announce that a new pope has been chosen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore