Vatican prelate attacks Spain`s PM over abortion law
Vatican City: A top Vatican prelate on Wednesday attacked Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero over a new law legalising abortion in his country.
Monsignor Ignacio Carrasco de Paula described the law was "senseless, absolutely senseless, and corresponds to Zapatero`s mindset”, in an interview with the religious monthly Il Consulente Re.
Zapatero "promotes everything that is presented to him as a right, but he is unable to understand what a right is," said Carrasco de Paula.
De Paula, a Spaniard, took over as the head of the Pontifical Academy for Life, which promotes Catholic teaching on the sanctity of life, a month ago.
The law passed by the socialist government allows abortion on demand up to the 14th week of pregnancy and up to the 22nd week if there is a risk to the mother`s health or if the foetus has serious "anomalies".
It took effect on July 05.
"The new law deems abortion a right: if that is the case, the woman can decide to do what she wants without consulting or explaining her choice to anyone," Carrasco de Paula told the online version of the monthly.
Under the law, the minimum age for a legal abortion is 16, and minors aged 16 or 17 must inform their families of the decision, except if they face "a clear risk of family violence, threats, pressure or mistreatment”.
Spain decriminalised abortion in 1985, a decade after the death of right-wing dictator Francisco Franco.
But that only covered cases of rape, foetal malformation and when a pregnant woman`s mental or physical health was deemed to be at risk.
Last year, around 115,000 abortions were carried out in Spain, according to the Health Ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read