Vatican rejects Irish criticism over sex abuse
Vatican City: The Vatican has vigorously rejected accusations it sabotaged efforts by Irish bishops to report priests who sexually abused children to police.
The Vatican issued a lengthy response on Saturday to the Irish government following Prime Minister Enda Kenny`s unprecedented July 20 denunciation of the Vatican`s handling of abuse.
The Vatican said Kenny`s claims, which followed the publication of a report into the diocese of Cloyne, were "unfounded" and based on an incorrect reading of a 1997 Vatican letter expressing "serious reservations" about the Irish bishops` 1996 policy requiring bishops to report abusers to police.
The Vatican also rejected accusations it diminished the policy`s seriousness, saying the bishops themselves never sought to make it binding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?