Vatican scandal: Pope wounded by Gabriele`s betrayal
Vatican City: In a major disclosure in one of the Vatican`s biggest scandals in decades, the Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi on Tuesday said “Pope Benedict XVI feels betrayed by his butler, who was arrested during an investigation into Vatican whistle blowers, and is determined to root moles out.”
Leading Italian newspapers had reported on Monday that the pope`s butler was arrested three days ago for allegedly feeding documents to Italian journalists and was he was not involved alone in this act, and that an unidentified cardinal is suspected of playing a major role in the scandal.
Lombardi further said in a press conference that "The pope is a witness to a case which touches him closely. It is a trial for him. He is suffering but also desires to understand, shed light on the matter, and discover the truth."
"He is particularly hurt with regard to one person, Paolo Gabriele, who he was close to, who he knew, loved and respected," Lombardi said in reference to Benedict`s butler.
Meanwhile, the lawyer for the pope`s butler says his client has pledged "full cooperation" in the investigation and wants the truth to come out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH