Vatican sex crimes prosecutor seeks transparency
Rome: The Vatican`s new sex crimes prosecutor has insisted on the need for full transparency about the church`s failures to protect children from sexually abusive priests.
In his first public comments since taking office, the Rev. Robert Oliver quoted Pope Benedict XVI in saying the church must recognise the grave errors in judgement committed by church leaders who for decades actively covered up abuse.
Oliver, previously a canon lawyer in the Boston archdiocese, spoke days after personnel files released by court order in Los Angeles showed retired Cardinal Roger Mahony and other top archdiocese officials protected the church by shielding priests and not reporting child sex abuse to authorities.
Without citing Los Angeles, Oliver said yesterday, "We must confront the current situation, including our failures, with courage and determination, honesty and transparency."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday