Vatican to take part in Syria peace talks
Vatican City: The Vatican is sending a delegation to the Syria peace talks due to start in Switzerland today, a spokesman said, following repeated calls by Pope Francis for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution to the raging conflict.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi yesterday said that Monsignor Silvano Tomasi, the Holy See`s representative to the United Nations and Monsignor Alberto Ortega Martin, an official from the Vatican`s Secretariat of State will attend.
"A breathing space is opening, even though we know the difficulties there will be in the coming days," the Vatican`s envoy to Damascus, Archbishop Mario Zenari, said on Vatican radio.
"Just the fact they are meeting and beginning to talk is something," he said, adding: "It is to time to end this avalanche of death and destruction and restore humanitarian law.
The Vatican said last week it would support all religious communities in the country in reconciliation and rebuilding efforts and voiced hope the recent interim deal over Iran`s nuclear programme could have a positive effect.
International diplomats and Syria`s warring sides have arrived for the crucial peace conference in the town of Montreux on Lake Geneva, which comes after months of wrangling that had threatened to derail the talks up until the last minute.
Regional power Iran -- Syria`s main ally -- has been excluded from the talks. Zenari said the inclusion of all players at the talks would have been "ideal".
Officials have expressed little hope of a breakthrough, but have said bringing President Bashar al-Assad`s regime and the opposition to the same table will be a sign of progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!