Vatican to take part in Syria peace talks
Vatican City: The Vatican is sending a delegation to the Syria peace talks due to start in Switzerland today, a spokesman said, following repeated calls by Pope Francis for an immediate ceasefire and a negotiated solution to the raging conflict.
Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi yesterday said that Monsignor Silvano Tomasi, the Holy See`s representative to the United Nations and Monsignor Alberto Ortega Martin, an official from the Vatican`s Secretariat of State will attend.
"A breathing space is opening, even though we know the difficulties there will be in the coming days," the Vatican`s envoy to Damascus, Archbishop Mario Zenari, said on Vatican radio.
"Just the fact they are meeting and beginning to talk is something," he said, adding: "It is to time to end this avalanche of death and destruction and restore humanitarian law.
The Vatican said last week it would support all religious communities in the country in reconciliation and rebuilding efforts and voiced hope the recent interim deal over Iran`s nuclear programme could have a positive effect.
International diplomats and Syria`s warring sides have arrived for the crucial peace conference in the town of Montreux on Lake Geneva, which comes after months of wrangling that had threatened to derail the talks up until the last minute.
Regional power Iran -- Syria`s main ally -- has been excluded from the talks. Zenari said the inclusion of all players at the talks would have been "ideal".
Officials have expressed little hope of a breakthrough, but have said bringing President Bashar al-Assad`s regime and the opposition to the same table will be a sign of progress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test