Vatican warns over Syria `world conflict`
Vatican City: A top Vatican official today warned the war in Syria could escalate into a global conflict, a day after Pope Francis made an impassioned call for peace.
"The Syria conflict has all the ingredients to explode into a war of global dimensions," Monsignor Mario Toso, head of the Vatican`s Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, told Vatican radio.
"The solution to Syria`s problems is not in armed intervention. Violence will not decrease and there is a risk of a conflagration that extends to other countries," he said.
The comments came the United States and France sought to build support for strikes against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad`s regime over allegations it used chemical weapons against its own people on August 21.
More than 110,000 people have been killed in Syria since an uprising against the regime began in March 2011, according to activists.
Francis called for a day of fasting and prayer on Saturday for peace in Syria, calling on Christians, believers of other religions and non-believers to take part.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why