Vatican welcomes Obama gun control proposal
Vatican City: The Vatican is praising US President Barack Obama`s proposals for curbing gun violence as "certainly a step in the right direction."
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi says no one can fool themselves into thinking that limiting the number of firearms will impede more massacres like the shooting at a Connecticut school last month that killed 26 people.
But Lombardi said in an editorial carried by Vatican Radio today he supports appeals by US religious leaders to American lawmakers to limit firearms.
He says American society is paying an "unacceptable price" in terms of senseless deaths.
Obama is trying to rally support for reinstating a ban on assault weapons and requiring background checks on all gun sales. He faces stiff opposition in the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!