Vatican welcomes Obama gun control proposal
Vatican City: The Vatican is praising US President Barack Obama`s proposals for curbing gun violence as "certainly a step in the right direction."
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi says no one can fool themselves into thinking that limiting the number of firearms will impede more massacres like the shooting at a Connecticut school last month that killed 26 people.
But Lombardi said in an editorial carried by Vatican Radio today he supports appeals by US religious leaders to American lawmakers to limit firearms.
He says American society is paying an "unacceptable price" in terms of senseless deaths.
Obama is trying to rally support for reinstating a ban on assault weapons and requiring background checks on all gun sales. He faces stiff opposition in the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing