Vatican welcomes Obama gun control proposal
Vatican City: The Vatican is praising US President Barack Obama`s proposals for curbing gun violence as "certainly a step in the right direction."
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi says no one can fool themselves into thinking that limiting the number of firearms will impede more massacres like the shooting at a Connecticut school last month that killed 26 people.
But Lombardi said in an editorial carried by Vatican Radio today he supports appeals by US religious leaders to American lawmakers to limit firearms.
He says American society is paying an "unacceptable price" in terms of senseless deaths.
Obama is trying to rally support for reinstating a ban on assault weapons and requiring background checks on all gun sales. He faces stiff opposition in the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured