Vatican welcomes Obama gun control proposal
Vatican City: The Vatican is praising US President Barack Obama`s proposals for curbing gun violence as "certainly a step in the right direction."
Vatican spokesman the Rev Federico Lombardi says no one can fool themselves into thinking that limiting the number of firearms will impede more massacres like the shooting at a Connecticut school last month that killed 26 people.
But Lombardi said in an editorial carried by Vatican Radio today he supports appeals by US religious leaders to American lawmakers to limit firearms.
He says American society is paying an "unacceptable price" in terms of senseless deaths.
Obama is trying to rally support for reinstating a ban on assault weapons and requiring background checks on all gun sales. He faces stiff opposition in the US Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened