Venezuela downs Mexican aircraft
Caracas: Venezuela shot down a small Mexican-registered airplane in its southwest, the Caracas government said, without providing a reason for taking the action or information about possible casualties.
Venezuela`s information ministry said yesterday in a statement that the air force late Monday "detected and intercepted a Hawker 25 aircraft with the registration XBMGM" in the southwestern state of Apure, near the Colombian border.
The statement quoted the head of Venezuela`s strategic Mexico`s foreign ministry said it sent a diplomatic note asking Caracas to "explain the incident in strict adherence with international law."
The air force released pictures of the wrecked plane, with fire still raging in what remained of the fuselage.
Venezuela monitors its border with Colombia to combat drug trafficking. The air force has brought down 13 aircraft linked to drug smuggling this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II