Venezuela downs Mexican aircraft
Caracas: Venezuela shot down a small Mexican-registered airplane in its southwest, the Caracas government said, without providing a reason for taking the action or information about possible casualties.
Venezuela`s information ministry said yesterday in a statement that the air force late Monday "detected and intercepted a Hawker 25 aircraft with the registration XBMGM" in the southwestern state of Apure, near the Colombian border.
The statement quoted the head of Venezuela`s strategic Mexico`s foreign ministry said it sent a diplomatic note asking Caracas to "explain the incident in strict adherence with international law."
The air force released pictures of the wrecked plane, with fire still raging in what remained of the fuselage.
Venezuela monitors its border with Colombia to combat drug trafficking. The air force has brought down 13 aircraft linked to drug smuggling this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre