Foreign Minister Elias Jaua said on Wednesday that "any type of contact has been postponed" with US Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs Roberta Jacobson, who had reportedly reached out to Venezuela's government before Chavez's death.
Jaua specified, however, that diplomatic and consular relations would remain between the two countries.
Venezuela's government expelled two military attaches earlier this month for allegedly talking to members of the country's armed forces. Washington responded by ejecting two Venezuelan diplomats, who were honored by Jaua today.
Caracas: In the wake of President Hugo Chavez's death, Venezuela on Thursday said it has halted communication with a top US diplomat in the country.
First Published: Thursday, March 21, 2013, 10:09