Venezuela: Hugo Chavez to launch re-election bid
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez will officially register his candidacy in upcoming Presidential Elections to secure a third six-year term to continue his socialist reforms, according to his campaign manager.
Speaking at a press conference, Chavez`s campaign chief Jorge Rodriguez said the head of state would personally make his candidacy official on Monday, June 11, the deadline set by the national electoral board (CNE), Xinhua reported.
Monday will mark a rare public appearance for Chavez, 57, who is recovering from five rounds of radiation therapy to treat cancer. He has also undergone surgery three times to remove tumours.
The only other candidate in the race, Capriles was nominated in February to represent a coalition of opposition groups, following primary elections, the first ever held in Venezuela, in which over three million voters participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price