Venezuela Opposition demands freedom of political detainees
Caracas: Leaders of the Venezuelan Opposition and students` representatives led a massive demonstration here and announced a list of demands for the government that includes freedom for political detainees.
Opposition leader Henrique Capriles, governor of Miranda state, led a march during which he denounced violence, called on people not to protest at night or block the streets, while at the same time demanding that the government rectify its actions and release political leader Leopoldo Lopez from jail.
Capriles, preceded by other opposition members including lawmaker Maria Corina Machado, Metropolitan Mayor Antonio Ledezma, Lara Gov. Henry Falcon, as well as university spokespersons, read a list of demands together with student leader Juan Requesens.
"We want freedom for all students in detention, we want amnesty for all students on trial," Capriles said.
The list also demanded the release of Lopez, held in a military prison since last Tuesday accused of several crimes related to the marches.
Also on the list is a request for "humanitarian measures and freedom" for police Commissioner Ivan Simonovis, sentenced for deaths that occurred during the failed 2002 coup in Venezuela against Hugo Chavez.
It also asks for "an end to the persecution" and that those "in exile" be allowed to return to Venezuela.
A key point was the demand for the immediate disarming of paramilitary groups.
Up to now the protest marches and the government`s reaction to them have left 10 dead, 130 injured and dozens in custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'