Venezuela probes murder of German tourist
Caracas: Venezuelan officials were on Saturday investigating the murder of an elderly German man who was shot dead on the Caribbean tourist island of Margarita.
Goldhahm Hors Kurt, 76, was shot on Friday afternoon near a shopping mall "resulting in his immediate death," read a statement from office of the public prosecutor.
Local media reported that the victim, a passenger on a cruise ship, was shot during a robbery as he and other tourists shopped for handicrafts.
"Security forces are after the criminals," Tourism Minister Andres Izarra said on Twitter.
Venezuela has one of the world`s highest murder rates, with 79 murders per 100,000 inhabitants last year, according to the non-profit Venezuelan Violence Monitor.
The Interior Ministry, however, estimates a lower murder rate of 39 homicides per 100,000.
Experts say that the low success in prosecuting violent crimes is a main cause of the crisis. About 92 percent of murders go unsolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption