Venezuela probes murder of German tourist
Caracas: Venezuelan officials were on Saturday investigating the murder of an elderly German man who was shot dead on the Caribbean tourist island of Margarita.
Goldhahm Hors Kurt, 76, was shot on Friday afternoon near a shopping mall "resulting in his immediate death," read a statement from office of the public prosecutor.
Local media reported that the victim, a passenger on a cruise ship, was shot during a robbery as he and other tourists shopped for handicrafts.
"Security forces are after the criminals," Tourism Minister Andres Izarra said on Twitter.
Venezuela has one of the world`s highest murder rates, with 79 murders per 100,000 inhabitants last year, according to the non-profit Venezuelan Violence Monitor.
The Interior Ministry, however, estimates a lower murder rate of 39 homicides per 100,000.
Experts say that the low success in prosecuting violent crimes is a main cause of the crisis. About 92 percent of murders go unsolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city