Venezuela probes murder of German tourist
Caracas: Venezuelan officials were on Saturday investigating the murder of an elderly German man who was shot dead on the Caribbean tourist island of Margarita.
Goldhahm Hors Kurt, 76, was shot on Friday afternoon near a shopping mall "resulting in his immediate death," read a statement from office of the public prosecutor.
Local media reported that the victim, a passenger on a cruise ship, was shot during a robbery as he and other tourists shopped for handicrafts.
"Security forces are after the criminals," Tourism Minister Andres Izarra said on Twitter.
Venezuela has one of the world`s highest murder rates, with 79 murders per 100,000 inhabitants last year, according to the non-profit Venezuelan Violence Monitor.
The Interior Ministry, however, estimates a lower murder rate of 39 homicides per 100,000.
Experts say that the low success in prosecuting violent crimes is a main cause of the crisis. About 92 percent of murders go unsolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Juno on Jupiter's doorstep: Stunning view of giant planet and its largest moons (Pic inside)!
- 'Can you spare USD10 to help elect a billionaire?' - Trump emails
- 'Narasimha Rao's pro Hindu mindset led to Babri mosque demolition'
- Brexit: Germany, France, Italy vow `new impulse` for European Union
- Euro 2016: Holders Spain knocked out by Italy in last 16