Venezuela touts agreements signed on Chavez tour
Caracas: Venezuela`s government signed a series of agreements in energy, trade and agriculture during President Hugo Chavez`s visits to Argentina, Uruguay and Bolivia last week, officials said on Sunday.
Venezuela Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said Chavez`s stops in those three countries promoted economic development and "the big objectives of South America`s unity”.
Maduro said that Venezuela will soon host a summit of leaders from the left-leaning ALBA bloc and that the member nations plan to discuss the creation of an "ALBA common market" to boost economic integration. Officials have yet to detail how such a common market would function.
The ALBA bloc includes nine nations ranging from Ecuador to Dominica. The summit`s date is to be set soon, Maduro said.
Maduro and other Cabinet ministers discussed Chavez`s trip during a televised appearance, saying the accords signed included agreements to team with Bolivia in food production, cement and textiles and to work with Uruguay to increase beef and milk production in Venezuela.
Maduro said a total of 46 agreements were signed with the three countries, the state-run Venezuelan News Agency reported.
In its energy agreements, Venezuela is supplying fuel while also working with the countries on joint oil and natural gas projects.
Chavez had planned to stop in Colombia on Saturday, but a problem with his plane in Bolivia prevented him from arriving in time for talks scheduled with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
Information Minister Andres Izarra said Chavez`s visit was pushed back a week.
"Everything is ready for next Saturday with Colombia," Maduro said, adding that officials are discussing a trade agreement with Colombia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation