Venezuelan authorities shut down 4 radio stations
Caracas: Venezuelan regulators shut down four radio stations on Friday for allegedly operating without licenses, including one run by a brother of a state governor on the outs with President Hugo Chavez.
The four stations all operated in the eastern state of Monagas, the National Telecommunications Commission said in a statement.
One of them is owned by a brother of Monagas Governor Jose Briceno, who charged that the government took the action in retribution for his recent criticism of some leaders of Chavez`s party.
But the Venezuelan Broadcast Industry Chamber, which in the past has criticised the closings of some other radio stations, said it supported the shutdown of these latest stations because they were operating illegally. Its statement said the broadcast regulatory agency`s measures were "in defence of service providers that operate legally”.
The chamber, which represents more than 400 broadcasters in Venezuela, has for years complained of unlicensed radio stations that interfere with the signals of properly registered stations.
Enza Carbone, the chamber`s president, told state television that the organization has supported regulators` shutdowns of more than 50 unlicensed stations over the past 10 months.
The telecommunications commission said the four stations will be able to appeal the decision.
Briceno`s falling out with Chavez`s party came this month after the governor accused National Assembly president Diosdado Cabello of trying to seize control of the governor`s office.
Leaders of Chavez`s United Socialist Party of Venezuela suspended Briceno from the party. Chavez backed that decision, calling the governor a "traitor”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune