Venezuelan oppn leader challenges poll results
Zee Media Bureau
Caracas: Venezuela`s opposition leader Henrique Capriles Radonski filed a lawsuit with the country`s Supreme Court on Thursday, challenging last month`s presidential vote.
Confirming the development, Gerardo Fernandez, an attorney for opposition candidate Henrique Capriles Radonski`s campaign, said his client had presented a long list of election irregularities that totaled more than 180 pages.
"We have come to contest the entire electoral process and the April 14 elections," he said.
Last week, Capriles had alleged that the results were illegitimate and new elections should be held.
"According to the law," he was quoted as saying, "what should happen would be a new election, without any of the irregularities that we have denounced."
After the closely watched vote to pick Hugo Chavez`s successor, election officials said Nicolas Maduro won 51% of votes. Maduro, Chavez`s political heir, was sworn in as President at an April 19 inauguration ceremony.
Maduro has stressed that he won a clear majority of votes in the election and accused Capriles and his supporters of inciting violence. In numerous public appearances and national television broadcasts, he`s vowed to use an iron fist to crack down on any coup attempts.
While both Maduro and Capriles have publicly called for peace after the announcement of the tight election results, tensions have been running high in Venezuela.
On Tuesday, a brawl broke out in the halls of the country`s National Assembly.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo