Venezuelan President finishes 3rd round of chemo
Caracas: Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said he felt great and playfully boxed for television cameras on Friday as he emerged from his third round of chemotherapy for cancer.
The 57-year-old President, who shaved his head after he started losing hair due to the treatments, did jumping jacks and sparred as he left the Carlos Arvelo Military Hospital in Venezuela`s capital.
Chavez told Venezuelan state television that during the week of treatment he had gained "more than a kilo" and now weighs 88½ kilograms (195 pounds). "At the end the chemotherapy is softer."
"Today we finished with the haemoglobin tests, white blood cells," said the Venezuelan President, who was wearing an olive green military uniform and his trademark red beret. He added that his condition "couldn`t be better”.
Hospital director Colonel Earle Siso said Chavez was released in "top condition not only in spirit but physically”.
Standing in the open sunroof of a sport-utility vehicle, Chavez waved to supporters as he led a caravan to the presidential palace.
In a televised speech to supporters at the palace, Chavez said "this third cycle (of chemotherapy) ended without problems”.
"We still don`t know if I will need a fourth round. We will see in the coming days," he said. "Every day I feel better."
Chavez underwent surgery in Cuba that removed a cancerous tumour from his pelvic region in June. He has not specified where the tumour was located but said the latest follow-up tests haven`t detected any sign of malignant cells in his body.
He returned twice to Cuba for his first two rounds of chemotherapy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?