Venezuelans protest against US sanctions
Caracas: Thousands of Venezuelans on Wednesday gathered in oil facilities of Caracas and other cities to stage protest against the US economic sanctions against state-run oil company Petroleos de Venezuela (PDVSA), Xinhua reported.
President Hugo Chavez saluted the protests by writing in his Twitter account: "Congratulations to the workers of PDVSA! From my trench receive a solidary greet and my encouraging word for everybody. Venezuela is respected!"
Meanwhile, Venezuela`s Energy Minister Rafael Ramirez, during an event to protest against these sanctions in Anzoategui state, said that as a sovereign country, Venezuela is the one who decides who are its friends and not the US.
"Here we have a brave President, committed with the interest of the people," Ramirez added.
Edmundo Kabachi, an expert on international affairs, said that the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) must take a strong position as an answer to the US sanctions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley