Venezuela`s Chavez confirms cancer recurrence
Caracas (Venezuela): Venezuelan President Hugo
Chavez on Sunday revealed that a new tumour recently removed from
his pelvic region was of the same type of cancer as a
baseball-sized growth extracted from that part of his body
about seven months ago.
In his first TV appearance in nine days, Chavez said the
surgery and follow-up tests showed the tumour was "a
recurrence of the initially diagnosed cancer."
He said "the tumour was totally extracted" and noted "the
absence of lesions suggestive of cancer neither locally,
neither in nearby organs, neither far away ... neither
metastasis, none of this thanks to God, to the diagnosis and
The 57-year-old president spoke firmly in footage
recorded yesterday in Havana while accompanied by various
government ministers and older brother Adan Chavez. The
president said his recuperation has been "open, progressive
and rapid" in the footage aired Sunday in Venezuela.
Chavez said "still it hasn`t been six days because the
operation ended on the night of last Sunday." He verified the
date of the recording by displaying a yesterday copy of the
Cuban government newspaper Granma and a similar copy of the
Venezuelan government paper Correo del Orinoco.
He has said doctors found the growth in the same pelvic
area where a malignant, baseball-sized tumour was extracted in
June 2011. He flew to Cuba for treatment on February 24, and
his absence from the public spotlight since then has sparked
speculation about his health.
Chavez phoned into a show Friday on Venezuelan state
television when he said he was recovering well.
"Everyone who has been operated on knows ... the impact
of an operation of various hours," Chavez said in the most
recent footage. "And how, above all the first day when the
body begins to awaken, the pains begin, the obstacles, after
one goes step by step recovering the functioning of the body,
like I am recovering it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch