Venezuela`s Chavez confirms cancer recurrence
Caracas (Venezuela): Venezuelan President Hugo
Chavez on Sunday revealed that a new tumour recently removed from
his pelvic region was of the same type of cancer as a
baseball-sized growth extracted from that part of his body
about seven months ago.
In his first TV appearance in nine days, Chavez said the
surgery and follow-up tests showed the tumour was "a
recurrence of the initially diagnosed cancer."
He said "the tumour was totally extracted" and noted "the
absence of lesions suggestive of cancer neither locally,
neither in nearby organs, neither far away ... neither
metastasis, none of this thanks to God, to the diagnosis and
The 57-year-old president spoke firmly in footage
recorded yesterday in Havana while accompanied by various
government ministers and older brother Adan Chavez. The
president said his recuperation has been "open, progressive
and rapid" in the footage aired Sunday in Venezuela.
Chavez said "still it hasn`t been six days because the
operation ended on the night of last Sunday." He verified the
date of the recording by displaying a yesterday copy of the
Cuban government newspaper Granma and a similar copy of the
Venezuelan government paper Correo del Orinoco.
He has said doctors found the growth in the same pelvic
area where a malignant, baseball-sized tumour was extracted in
June 2011. He flew to Cuba for treatment on February 24, and
his absence from the public spotlight since then has sparked
speculation about his health.
Chavez phoned into a show Friday on Venezuelan state
television when he said he was recovering well.
"Everyone who has been operated on knows ... the impact
of an operation of various hours," Chavez said in the most
recent footage. "And how, above all the first day when the
body begins to awaken, the pains begin, the obstacles, after
one goes step by step recovering the functioning of the body,
like I am recovering it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row