Venezuela`s President returns envoy to Colombia
Caracas: Venezuela`s President Hugo Chavez on Saturday ordered his Ambassador back to Colombia a few days after withdrawing him amid a crisis over plans to increase the number of US troops in the neighbouring country.
Consistent US critic Chavez pulled his Ambassador from Bogota on July 28 to protest Colombian plans to accept more US troops at seven military bases and in anger at accusations he had supplied arms to Marxist rebels across the border.
But in a surprise announcement after an hours-long late-night meeting, Chavez delighted a group of left-wing Colombian peace campaigners by reversing the decision.
"Nicolas, our Ambassador Gustavo has given you all the reports he was going to, let him go back to Bogota. Return to Bogota Gustavo," Chavez said to his Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro and the Ambassador, Gustavo Marquez.
In recent days he has also threatened sanctions against the Colombian state oil company Ecopetrol and said he would block some car imports from one of Venezuela`s top trade partners.
Colombia says the extra US troops are needed to help fight drug traffickers, but Chavez sees them as a threat against Venezuela. He says the plans could spark war in South America.
The socialist President frequently makes fiery threats against Colombia and its President, Alvaro Uribe, whose government says Chavez supports the FARC guerrillas who have fought Bogota for over four decades. Chavez usually backs down and seeks to make peace within a few days.
Colombia last month said weapons bought by Venezuela in Sweden had made their way to the FARC rebels.
US President Barack Obama on Friday denied that Washington was opening new military bases in Colombia, comments Chavez dismissed as not credible.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands