Venomous spider invasion closes British school
London: An invasion of venomous spiders forced British authorities to close a school in southern England, amid warnings climate change has boosted numbers of the arachnids.
Officials temporarily shut the infested Dean Academy secondary school in Gloucestershire, western England, so that pest control experts could exterminate the false widow spiders.
Britain has this year seen a huge increase in numbers of the false widow (Steatoda nobilis), whose bite can cause severe swelling and chest pains.
No deaths have been recorded in Britain so far from the spiders, which have a distinctive cream marking on their large abdomen.
The school said the spiders were first discovered in its technology block on Tuesday, but after it was fumigated they surfaced elsewhere so they had to close the entire premises.
"Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you but I`m sure you will understand that this is in the best interest of students` health and safety," vice principal Craig Burns said in a letter to parents.
False widow spiders are thought to have been introduced to Britain from the Canary Isles in the 1870s.
Colonies have been established in southern England for over a century, with repeated reintroductions in imports of bananas, according to Britain`s National History Museum.
But John Tweddle, an expert at the museum, said populations appeared to be increasing and spreading, most likely as a response to global warming.
He added that bites were rare and that the species was not normally aggressive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!