Video of Russian millionaire in crash sparks ire
Moscow: Russian media aired a video
showing a collision between a millionaire businessman in a
Mercedes and a 24-year-old man on a motorbike, who died at the
scene, prompting outrage today.
In the accident on August 27 on a highway west of
Moscow, supermarket founder Alexander Zaribko tried to
overtake a motorbike ridden by Stanislav Lopatkin, LifeNews
website reported, posting a video of the incident.
Zaribko is a founder of a chain of supermarkets called
According to Forbes magazine, he owned a 29-per cent
stake in the enterprise, valued at 20 billion rubles (USD 687
million) before it was sold earlier this year.
The video filmed by a dashboard camera on another car
shows the driver apparently changing lanes at high speed,
colliding with the biker and throwing him onto the hard
shoulder before continuing without slowing down.
Investigators "believe that they don`t have any reason
to launch a case", said spokeswoman for the investigative
committee in the Moscow region, Oksana Shlyakhtina, the RIA
Novosti news agency reported.
The incident caused outrage among Russian bloggers and
bikers, who viewed it as yet another case where a wealthy
offender escapes justice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today