Vietnam arrests third blogger in less than a month
Hanoi: Vietnamese police have arrested a blogger accused of posting "erroneous and slanderous" information about the communist government, the third blogger to be locked in the past month in an intensifying crackdown against dissent.
The state-run Thanh Nien newspaper reported today that Dinh Nhat Uy was taken into police custody in southern Long An province on Saturday.
He is accused of "abusing democratic freedoms," an offense that carries up to seven years in prison. The 30-year-old is the brother of Dinh Nguyen Kha, a student who was sentenced last month to eight years in jail for spreading propaganda against the government.
Two well-known bloggers have been arrested over the past three weeks on the same charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!