Vietnam: Chinese boats cut seismic cables
Hanoi: Vietnam`s state-owned oil and gas company accused Chinese fishing boats Sunday of sabotaging one of its seismic survey ships in the South China Sea, adding to already high tensions over Beijing`s disputed territorial claims in the waters.
PetroVietnam said two Chinese fishing boats cut across cables being laid by the survey vessel Binh Minh 2 off the coast of central Vietnam on Friday.
"PetroVietnam vehemently protests the Chinese fishing boats` action against the Binh Minh 2," Pham Viet Dung, the deputy head of exploration at the company, said in a statement on the company`s website. "We ask that China educate its citizens to respect Vietnamese waters."
Chinese and Vietnamese Foreign Ministry officials had no immediate comment.
China claims most of the South China Sea, bringing it into conflict with its smaller neighbors. Vietnam, the Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan also claim part of the waters, which are believed to be rich in gas and oil reserves as well as fish stocks.
China, which is strengthening its navy, has been increasingly assertive in pressing its claims as its economy as grown in recent years.
It is the second time that Chinese fishing vessels have reportedly damaged the Vietnamese survey ship`s cables. An incident in June last year off Vietnam`s central coast triggered rare street protests in Hanoi.
It wasn`t immediately clear whether the reported incident took place in contested waters. PetroVietnam said it occurred 69 kilometres from the small island of Con Co.
China recently issued new passports featuring a map showing its territorial claims in the South China Sea, angering Vietnam and the Philippines, which have refused to stamp the passports.
Vietnam has also protested a recent announcement by the China National Offshore Oil Corp. Opening nine oil and gas lots for international bidders in areas overlapping with existing Vietnamese exploration blocks.
Vietnam says the lots lie entirely within its 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone and continental shelf.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly