Vietnam condemns five drug smugglers to death
Hanoi: Vietnam has sentenced five men to
death for smuggling heroin into the country from Cambodia,
state media reported on Saturday.
The men, aged between 30 and 40, were condemned by a Ho
Chi Minh City court after they were found guilty of
trafficking a total of seven kilograms of the drug between
2001 and 2010, Communist Party daily Nhan Dan said.
Three other men were sentenced to life, while a further
six people received jail terms of between seven and 20 years,
after a three-day trial which ended yesterday.
Communist Vietnam`s drug laws are among the world`s
harshest. Anyone found guilty of possessing more than 600
grams of heroin, or more than 20 kilograms of opium, faces the
Executions were carried out by firing squad until July
this year, when the country announced it would instead use
At least 69 people were sentenced to death in Vietnam in
2011, including 27 for drug smuggling, according to a news agency
tally compiled from figures in state media.
There are no government statistics, but the official press
has reported five executions since the beginning of the year.
Heroin is the most commonly used illicit drug in the
country of about 86 million people, the United Nations has
said. Government figures issued last year showed the country
had about 150,000 drug addicts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA