Vietnam frees another US citizen: Opposition
Hanoi: Vietnam has freed the second of three United States citizens arrested during a peaceful protest, a banned opposition group said on Thursday.
Nguyen Quang Khanh was released on Wednesday after nine days in detention, the US-based Viet Tan (Vietnam Reform Party) said in a statement.
It has identified Khanh as a member of Viet Tan, along with Nguyen Ly Trong, who was released and returned to the US earlier this week.
Viet Tan said another member of the group, Jennifer Truong, remains in detention following the March 14 demonstration in Ho Chi Minh City against government corruption and illegal land expropriation.
All three are of Vietnamese descent.
In Washington, a State Department spokesman said on Tuesday -- before Khanh`s release -- that US diplomats had been informed by Vietnam that two Americans were detained.
"The US Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City is seeking additional information and has requested consular access," the spokesman said.
Vietnamese officials have not responded to a request for comment.
Authorities are also holding a French-Vietnamese citizen, Pham Minh Hoang, who was accused in September of being a Viet Tan member and of plotting to overthrow the government.
Vietnam is a one-party communist state that labels Viet Tan a "terrorist organisation".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day