Vietnam holds S Korean for aiding N Korean defectors
Seoul: A South Korean activist, who has supported North Korean defectors, was detained in Vietnam last Wednesday, a South Korean Foreign Ministry official said on Monday.
The 52-year-old activist was arrested by Vietnamese authorities at a hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, the official said without giving further details.
South Korea has requested a meeting with the activist.
Meanwhile, Yonhap News Agency reported earlier today that the activist, identified by his surname Yoo, was arrested for allegedly helping arrange a way for some North Korean defectors to enter South Korea.
Yonhap said Yoo is also believed to have played a role in helping more than 400 North Korean defectors fly to Seoul from Thailand in 2004.
Southeast Asian nations, such as Thailand, Vietnam and Laos, have been a preferred transit route for North Korean defectors, who escape through China with the hope of eventually settling in South Korea, home to more than 23,000 North Korean defectors. (Kyodo)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels