Vietnam holds S Korean for aiding N Korean defectors
Seoul: A South Korean activist, who has supported North Korean defectors, was detained in Vietnam last Wednesday, a South Korean Foreign Ministry official said on Monday.
The 52-year-old activist was arrested by Vietnamese authorities at a hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, the official said without giving further details.
South Korea has requested a meeting with the activist.
Meanwhile, Yonhap News Agency reported earlier today that the activist, identified by his surname Yoo, was arrested for allegedly helping arrange a way for some North Korean defectors to enter South Korea.
Yonhap said Yoo is also believed to have played a role in helping more than 400 North Korean defectors fly to Seoul from Thailand in 2004.
Southeast Asian nations, such as Thailand, Vietnam and Laos, have been a preferred transit route for North Korean defectors, who escape through China with the hope of eventually settling in South Korea, home to more than 23,000 North Korean defectors. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown