Vietnam holds S Korean for aiding N Korean defectors
Seoul: A South Korean activist, who has supported North Korean defectors, was detained in Vietnam last Wednesday, a South Korean Foreign Ministry official said on Monday.
The 52-year-old activist was arrested by Vietnamese authorities at a hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, the official said without giving further details.
South Korea has requested a meeting with the activist.
Meanwhile, Yonhap News Agency reported earlier today that the activist, identified by his surname Yoo, was arrested for allegedly helping arrange a way for some North Korean defectors to enter South Korea.
Yonhap said Yoo is also believed to have played a role in helping more than 400 North Korean defectors fly to Seoul from Thailand in 2004.
Southeast Asian nations, such as Thailand, Vietnam and Laos, have been a preferred transit route for North Korean defectors, who escape through China with the hope of eventually settling in South Korea, home to more than 23,000 North Korean defectors. (Kyodo)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed