Vietnam holds S Korean for aiding N Korean defectors
Seoul: A South Korean activist, who has supported North Korean defectors, was detained in Vietnam last Wednesday, a South Korean Foreign Ministry official said on Monday.
The 52-year-old activist was arrested by Vietnamese authorities at a hotel in Ho Chi Minh City, the official said without giving further details.
South Korea has requested a meeting with the activist.
Meanwhile, Yonhap News Agency reported earlier today that the activist, identified by his surname Yoo, was arrested for allegedly helping arrange a way for some North Korean defectors to enter South Korea.
Yonhap said Yoo is also believed to have played a role in helping more than 400 North Korean defectors fly to Seoul from Thailand in 2004.
Southeast Asian nations, such as Thailand, Vietnam and Laos, have been a preferred transit route for North Korean defectors, who escape through China with the hope of eventually settling in South Korea, home to more than 23,000 North Korean defectors. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video
- Delhi schoolboy run over by van that dropped him home
- Will pursue agenda of political resolution, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured