Vietnam hosts first gay parade
Hanoi: Over 100 demonstrators Sunday rode bicycles and motorcycles through Vietnam capital Hanoi in the first gay pride parade in the communist state.
The activists drove across the capital`s central street with balloons and rainbow flags, calling for equal rights for gays and lesbians.
Until recently, Vietnam considered homosexuality as a "social evil" along with drug addiction and prostitution.
In a surprise move in July, Justice Minister Ha Hung Cuong said it might well be time to consider changes in the law on marriage and the family to recognise same sex marriages.
Cuong said he thought it was "unacceptable to create social prejudice against the homosexual community".
He also said the legal rights of same-sex couples should be protected.
"The state should also have legal mechanisms to protect the legitimate rights such as legal personality, property ownership or children (if any) of same sex couple living together."
Vietnam`s law on marriage and the family currently prohibits same sex unions. Vietnam could become Asia`s first nation to legalise gay marriages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- 5 homemade fruit packs that’ll make you glow instantly