Vietnam hosts US Navy amid South China Sea strains
Hanoi: Vietnam kicked off a weeklong naval exchange on Monday with the US Navy amid percolating tensions in the South China Sea with China.
Three ships from the US 7th Fleet visited Danang during the five-day event that began on Monday. No live-fire drills were planned, but the two sides were expected to practice salvage and disaster training as they have done in recent years.
Vietnam, China, the Philippines and other nations have competing claims to islands in the South China Sea, which is believed rich in oil and gas deposits.
Many view the sea as a potential flash point of armed conflict.
Tensions have flared this month near a shoal north of the disputed Spratly Islands where two Chinese maritime surveillance ships blocked a Philippine warship from arresting Chinese fishermen on April 10. Chinese and Philippine vessels continued to face off at the shoal on Monday, each waiting for the other to pull out.
Earlier this month, five Vietnamese Buddhist monks travelled to the Spratlys to teach Buddhism and defend their nation’s territorial claim.
Tensions between Vietnam and China hit a low point last summer after Hanoi accused Beijing of interfering with its maritime oil exploration activities. Beijing denied the charge.
The last major clash in the sea involved China and Vietnam and left more than 70 Vietnamese sailors dead in 1988.
Beijing has named the South China Sea one of its “core interests,” meaning it could potentially go to war to protect it. The US has said it has a national interest in ensuring freedom of navigation in the sea, and analysts say Washington is expanding its military presence in Asia to counter China’s rising influence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31