Vietnam hosts US Navy amid South China Sea strains
Hanoi: Vietnam kicked off a weeklong naval exchange on Monday with the US Navy amid percolating tensions in the South China Sea with China.
Three ships from the US 7th Fleet visited Danang during the five-day event that began on Monday. No live-fire drills were planned, but the two sides were expected to practice salvage and disaster training as they have done in recent years.
Vietnam, China, the Philippines and other nations have competing claims to islands in the South China Sea, which is believed rich in oil and gas deposits.
Many view the sea as a potential flash point of armed conflict.
Tensions have flared this month near a shoal north of the disputed Spratly Islands where two Chinese maritime surveillance ships blocked a Philippine warship from arresting Chinese fishermen on April 10. Chinese and Philippine vessels continued to face off at the shoal on Monday, each waiting for the other to pull out.
Earlier this month, five Vietnamese Buddhist monks travelled to the Spratlys to teach Buddhism and defend their nation’s territorial claim.
Tensions between Vietnam and China hit a low point last summer after Hanoi accused Beijing of interfering with its maritime oil exploration activities. Beijing denied the charge.
The last major clash in the sea involved China and Vietnam and left more than 70 Vietnamese sailors dead in 1988.
Beijing has named the South China Sea one of its “core interests,” meaning it could potentially go to war to protect it. The US has said it has a national interest in ensuring freedom of navigation in the sea, and analysts say Washington is expanding its military presence in Asia to counter China’s rising influence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened