Vietnam in fresh crackdown as political tensions rise
Hanoi: A fresh crackdown is under way against bloggers and activists in Vietnam as political tensions rise before a Communist Party Congress in January, observers say.
In the latest arrest, Cu Huy Ha Vu, a prominent government critic, was held for "propaganda against the state", official television said yesterday.
It quoted the Ministry of Public Security as saying investigators found anti-state documents in Vu`s laptop and that he had advocated a multi-party system.
Last year, Vu filed an unsuccessful court complaint against Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung over a controversial bauxite mine.
Authorities also rejected a bid by Vu`s law firm to represent at trial several Catholic parishioners convicted last month in connection with a dispute over a cemetery.
The Catholics, and now Vu, are among at least 17 community activists, dissidents and bloggers reported to have been convicted, arrested or charged since October 01.
While critics outside the ruling Communist Party have been targeted, observers say there has also been criticism from within, over a scandal at state-run Vietnam Shipbuilding Industry Group (Vinashin).
Vinashin has been driven to the brink of bankruptcy and lawmakers in the communist-dominated National Assembly last week demanded answers.
One deputy, Nguyen Minh Thuyet, called for a vote of no confidence in the prime minister, who appointed the firm`s former chairman Pham Thanh Binh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears