Vietnam scraps $56 bn bullet train project over cost
Hanoi: Vietnamese legislators rejected a proposed bullet train over its USD 56 billion cost — the assembly`s first rejection of a major proposal submitted by the all-powerful Communist government.
The nearly 500-member assembly typically acts as a rubber stamp but voted over the weekend to deny plans for the high-speed rail project.
The USD 56 billion investment would have built a 975-mile (1,570-kilometer) track linking the capital Hanoi and the southern commercial hub of Ho Chi Minh City by 2035.
A train trip that now takes 30 hours would have been cut to about six hours.
But ordinary Vietnamese could not afford the fares, and construction would equal about 50 percent of the country`s gross domestic product, said Nguyen Minh Thuyet, a lawmaker from northern Lang Son province.
"I`m very glad that deputies have expressed their position," said Thuyet. "The move helped the country avoid an expected huge debt for an inefficient project."
He said it was the first time the assembly rejected a major proposal by powerful Communist leaders.
Senior economist Pham Chi Lan called the plan economically unsound.
"This project is too risky and too luxurious for Vietnam where we have many other things to do with agriculture, education, electricity and other transport projects," she said.
Some assembly members argued the bullet train would help promote tourism.
Lan said the project would not serve the country`s majority where about 70 percent still live in rural areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video