Vietnam sentences 2 songwriters to prison terms
Hanoi: A Vietnamese court has sentenced two songwriters to prison for posting songs online that are critical of the government.
Lawyer Tran Vu Hai says Vo Minh Tri, known as Viet Khang, and Tran Vu Anh Binh have been convicted of spreading propaganda against the state and have been sentenced to four and six years in prison respectively.
The two posted their songs on a website operated by an overseas Vietnamese opposition group.
They were sentenced after a five-hour trial today in southern Ho Chi Minh City. International rights groups have condemned the trial and called for their immediate release.
Their convictions come a month after three bloggers were sentenced up to 12 years behind bars on the same charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Twitter activates Foursquare-powered location feed for iOS users
- Shocking! Three murders within 48 hours in Delhi
- Copa America Final: Time for Messi to end Argentina drought in Copa final?
- Summer Olympics: Boxer Laishram Devendro out of contention for Rio berth
- 'Only 15% water left in major reservoirs in India; west, south worst hit'