Vietnam sentences 2 songwriters to prison terms
Hanoi: A Vietnamese court has sentenced two songwriters to prison for posting songs online that are critical of the government.
Lawyer Tran Vu Hai says Vo Minh Tri, known as Viet Khang, and Tran Vu Anh Binh have been convicted of spreading propaganda against the state and have been sentenced to four and six years in prison respectively.
The two posted their songs on a website operated by an overseas Vietnamese opposition group.
They were sentenced after a five-hour trial today in southern Ho Chi Minh City. International rights groups have condemned the trial and called for their immediate release.
Their convictions come a month after three bloggers were sentenced up to 12 years behind bars on the same charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!