Vietnam sentences 5 to death for dealing heroin
Hanoi: State media say a Vietnamese court has sentenced five people to death for dealing heroin, lengthening the country`s list of condemned criminals even as it struggles to obtain the chemicals needed to execute them.
Vietnam has not executed anyone since 2011, when it decided to switch from firing squads to lethal injection on humanitarian grounds.
But it has been unable to get the chemicals needed because of an EU ban on its factories exporting drugs used in lethal injections.
The state-run Vietnam News Agency said on Tuesday that three men and two women were convicted Monday in northern province of Bac Giang for dealing in 78 kilograms of heroin.
Four other people were convicted of the same charges last week, and there are currently more than 500 people on death row.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- 'Mann Ki Baat': PM Narendra Modi to address nation today, may talk to Army jawans
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015