Vietnam to set up militia to protect sea borders
Hanoi: Vietnamese lawmakers on Monday approved
a law to establish a marine militia to protect the communist
country`s maritime sovereignty, state media said.
The militia will "cooperate with border guards, navy, sea
police and other forces to protect national border security
and the sovereignty of Vietnam`s sea areas," according to the
draft text of the law obtained by a news agency.
Vietnam has a 3,200-kilometre coastline and wants to
fully develop the potential of its marine territory despite
long-standing disputes with neighbouring countries, especially
China, over sovereignty in the South China Sea.
China and Hanoi have a dispute over ownership of the
Paracel islands, which Beijing has administered since 1974
when it overran a South Vietnamese outpost shortly before the
end of the Vietnam War.
Separately, the potentially oil-rich Spratly island chain
is claimed entirely or in part by Brunei, China, Malaysia, the
Philippines, Taiwan and Vietnam.
The marine militia will be set up "to protect our
fishermen... in interest and sovereignty, not to oppose
anyone" Le Quang Binh, chairman of the National Assembly`s
Defence and Security Committee, said in an earlier interview
with the VietnamNet online news site.
State media over the past few months have reported
incidents where Vietnamese fishermen were robbed or attacked
by "foreign vessels" while fishing in Vietnam`s territory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day