Vietnam War-era mortar shell blast kills 4 kids
Hanoi: A mortar shell left from the Vietnam War has exploded in a southern village, killing four children and seriously injuring five other people.
Hieu Nghia village official Le Van Giang says three children aged 4 to 11 died at the scene yesterday afternoon and a 6-year-old boy died at the hospital. The blast seriously injured two other children and three men.
Giang said the shell exploded when the children who found the shell from bamboo brush were playing with it. A villager found the shell five years ago when dredging a canal.
The village in Vinh Long province was a communist stronghold during the war.
Vietnamese government figures show unexploded ordnance have killed more than 42,000 people since the war ended in 1975.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway