Vietnamese soldier dismissed over tortured monkeys
Hanoi: State media in Vietnam say a soldier has been dismissed from the military after photos of him torturing two monkeys posted on Facebook outraged the public.
The Labourer newspaper says 20-year-old private Nguyen Van
Quang was dismissed from his unit in central Gia Lai province and two other soldiers were given a warning.
The three bought the monkeys from villagers for USD 57 before torturing them and hiring villagers to slaughter them. A photo shows a monkey having a cigarette pressed into its mouth.
Many readers expressed anger in comments in print and online newspapers after the images were posted on Quang`s Facebook wall last month.
The newspaper said today that the military has arrested a villager and issued warrants against two others for illegal hunting.
Quang`s army unit didn`t comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday