Vigilante gangs protecting women from ‘sex pests’ in Cairo
London: Sex pests on the trouble-torn streets of Cairo are being targeted by vigilante gangs who are on defence of women.
They are targeting young men suspected of harassing women by spraying them with aerosol paints.
Coating the men’s faces with paint is being hailed the most effective way of cracking down in Cairo enduring problem of sex attacks, the Daily Express reports.
Hundreds of forced markings have been carried out in the capital in recent weeks after the authorities were accused of failing to take action over the appalling treatment of young women, the report said.
Single females have been subjected to degrading treatment, some stripped on the streets and even forced to endure ‘virginity tests’, the report added.
According to the report, now vigilantes have launched a new crackdown called Estargel (Be a Man) and are exacting revenge on anyone caught harassing females.
The gangs are wearing fluorescent yellow vests emblazoned with the words “Harassment prevention” and carrying aerosol cans.
After spraying suspects’ faces at point-blank range with either black or white paint, the vigilantes then emblazon the pervert’s clothing with the words “I am a harasser”, the report said.
“If I was walking in the street and I molested a girl and I got beat up and trashed and had my dignity put into a bin ... I think the next time I’ll think a thousand times before I try to act funny with a girl,” one vigilante said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday