Villepin announces bid for 2012 French presidency
Paris: Former French prime minister Dominique de Villepin has declared that he will stand for president in the 2012 election.
The long-time rival of President Nicolas Sarkozy recently made his announcement on French TV.
De Villepin recently set up a new political movement, United Republic (French: Republique solidaire), which contains members of Sarkozy’s governing UMP.
“I want to reunite all the French, those on the left, those on the right, and those in the center. I intend to defend a certain idea of France,” he told the TV channel.
According to the BBC, it is hard to see de Villepin as a serious contender as many of his former friends and allies have moved over to Sarkozy``s camp.
Moreover, he has just been named in a corruption enquiry, accused of putting pressure on a businessman not to give information to the police that might implicate one of his friends.
Meanwhile, Nadine Morano, the election chief of Sarkozy’s party, called on de Villepin to abandon his bid and “back Mr Sarkozy instead”.
Describing de Villepin as a “man on his own without financial means or a political movement”, Morano said she hoped he would not “make the mistake of causing a division in 2012”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat