Violence at South Africa mine kills 9
Johannesburg: Ongoing violent protests at a platinum mine in South Africa have killed at least nine people, as authorities struggled to control a massive crowd that at one point overpowered officers and stole their weapons, police said on Monday.
The protests focused on a Lonmin PLC mine operation near Marikana, a town about 70 kilometres northwest of Johannesburg.
Two police officers were killed during violent protests Monday, while another remained in critical condition, Brig. Lindela Mashigo said.
Officers opened fire on the crowd, killing at least three people, he said.
"We`re talking about a mob here," Mashigo said.
Protests began Friday at the mine when workers walked off the job over a salary dispute, Lonmin said in a statement Monday. Four workers attempting to go to work were injured by a rival mine union that day, Lonmin said.
Angry protesters returned to the mine on Sunday, killing two security guards by setting their car on fire, authorities said.
Another two miners died today in other attacks, police and company officials said.
The fighting intensified today as part of a larger struggle between the National Union of Mineworkers and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union.
National Union of Mineworkers spokesman Lesiba Seshoka said the fighting had shut down Lonmin`s operation near Marikana.
"The situation is tense," Seshoka said.
A spokesman for the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union could not be immediately reached for comment.
Solidarity, a union that largely represents skilled white workers, said in statement today that three of its members had been injured in the protests.
The union also threatened to pull its workers from the site if calm isn`t restored.
The restive labor force is among the many challenges facing the mining industry in South Africa. The industry has been weakened by decades of under-investment.
A debate over nationalization and other policy questions have created uncertainty that has spooked potential investors. Still, South Africa remains a major producer of platinum, coal and gold.
London-based Lonmin is the world`s third largest platinum producer. The company says 96 percent of all of its production comes from its Marikana operations.
"We condemn these attacks and the intimidation associated with them," executive vice president Barnard Mokwena said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow