Violence in Syria now a civil war: UN official
New York: UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Herve Ladsous on Tuesday said that the violence in Syria has escalated into civil war.
When asked in an interview whether Syria was in a civil war, Ladsous told two news agencies: “Yes, I think one can say that”.
According to Kieran Dwyer, the spokesman for the UN peacekeeping department, UN observers have seen a steep escalation of violence and a dangerous shift in tactics by both sides in Syria in the last five days.
The Syrian government seems intent on wresting back control of many rebel-held areas and is shelling heavily populated districts and using attack helicopters over cities “with devastating impact on civilians”, Dwyer said.
In turn, the opposition is increasingly coordinating attacks against government forces and civilian infrastructure, and “the conflict has reached all parts of Syria virtually”, Dwyer said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam