Violence mars Madagascar polls
Antananaivo: Violence broke out as Madagascar voted on Friday in crunch elections to restore democracy after a 2009 coup, leaving a senior government official dead and a polling station torched.
The violence erupted as voters sought to end a crisis which has crippled the Indian Ocean island since strongman Andry Rajoelina, 39, ousted Marc Ravalomanana four years ago.
"A district chief was killed at a polling station" in the southern town Benenitra, an interior ministry source said on condition of anonymity, without giving details.
Another person was kidnapped from a voting site in Bezaha, elsewhere in the south, while a polling station was burned down in the northern district of Tsaratanana.
Voting was suspended until the three stations were moved but went ahead uninterrupted elsewhere.
"There are no major problems in the voting process," the European Union`s chief election observer Maria Muniz de Urquiza said five hours after polling opened.
Voters were optimistic the election would allow the country to turn the page on its political crisis which has harshly impacted the economy.
The world`s fourth-largest island, the island famed for picture-perfect beaches and lemurs, is a magnet for tourists.
"I think Madagascar will emerge from the crisis in this election," said voter Alain Yves as people trickled in, voter ID cards in hand to cast their ballots in the capital Antananarivo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!