Violence mars Shi’ite commemoration in Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A Saudi security official says violent clashes broke out between residents of the holy city of Medina on the day minority Shi’ite Muslims commemorated the death of their most sacred saint.
The official refused to elaborate on the cause of Thursday`s clashes but said security forces were deployed to disperse the crowds. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
A Shi’ite news website called Rasid reported that hundreds of Sunni hard-liners attacked Shi’ites during the commemorations, known as Ashura. The day of mourning marks the killing of the Prophet Muhammad`s grandson Hussein in the year 680 in present day Iraq.
Shi’ites make up 10 percent of predominantly Sunni Saudi Arabia and complain of discrimination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi