Violence mars Shi’ite commemoration in Saudi Arabia
Riyadh: A Saudi security official says violent clashes broke out between residents of the holy city of Medina on the day minority Shi’ite Muslims commemorated the death of their most sacred saint.
The official refused to elaborate on the cause of Thursday`s clashes but said security forces were deployed to disperse the crowds. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
A Shi’ite news website called Rasid reported that hundreds of Sunni hard-liners attacked Shi’ites during the commemorations, known as Ashura. The day of mourning marks the killing of the Prophet Muhammad`s grandson Hussein in the year 680 in present day Iraq.
Shi’ites make up 10 percent of predominantly Sunni Saudi Arabia and complain of discrimination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Five held for 'slaughtering' three cows in Maharashtra
- Delhi LG cancelled AAP govt order on compensation by discoms: Arvind Kejriwal
- Bihar flood toll reaches 156, twins born on boat
- Hinduism all about love, faith and intimacy with all: RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- Who are you? Watch dog's reaction seeing himself on mirror – Very Funny