Violence rages near historic Syria mosque
Beirut: Combat raged near a historic mosque in the Syrian city of Aleppo today while anti-government activists reported fresh clashes near a police academy west of the city.
The fighting near the Umayyad Mosque in the walled Old City of Aleppo threated to further damage the 12th century structure, part of which was burned during clashes last year.
Since July 2011, government forces and rebels seeking to topple President Bashar Assad have been fighting over Aleppo, the country`s largest city and a major prize in the civil war.
While rebels have gradually expanded their control, fighting has left much of the city, considered one of Syria`s most beautiful, in ruins.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said today that rebels clashed with government forces near the Umayyad Mosque amid intense gunfire and explosions.
Syria`s state news agency said "terrorists" had detonated explosives near the mosque`s wall, causing "material damages." Assad`s regime refers to the opposition as "terrorists."
The mosque, also known as the Great Mosque of Aleppo, dates the 12th century and sits near a medieval covered market in Aleppo`s walled city, which is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The mosque was heavily damaged in October, 2012, and a fire torched the market the month before.
Also today, activists reported fresh fighting near the police academy that has become a key government military installation west of the city.
The Observatory said the two sides were shelling each other`s positions while the government launched airstrikes in the area.
Video posted online in recent days shows rebel groups firing homemade rockets and mortars at the academy and blasting it with captured tanks. The videos appeared genuine and corresponded with other Associated Press reporting.
The Observatory said the dead in the last two days of fighting in the area included 26 rebel fighters, 40 soldiers and five pro-government militiamen.
The police academy, which activists say the government has turned into a military base, has recently emerged as a new front in the battle for Aleppo, Syria`s largest city.
Losing the police academy would make it more difficult for the regime to shell opposition areas and support its troops inside the city.
The fighting has largely destroyed Aleppo and caused humanitarian conditions for the city`s remaining civilians to plummet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27